Oct 5, 2012

Two Amazing Fall Recipes: Pumpkin Soup and Spiced Country Ribs




Fall is in full bloom and I couldn't be more excited about it! I look at all the leaves turning colors right now and I just want to start jumping and screaming in excitement. I want to run to strangers on the streets exclaiming, "It's Fall!! It's Fall!!! Don't you get how exciting this is?!" It's barely into October and I have already enjoyed so many of the fabulous things there is to enjoy. Pumpkin Spice Latte and apple picking, anyone? Yep. Checked off the to-do list. Even a big scoop of pumpkin ice cream! Heaven in a bowl, not even kidding.

I was bragging to my Facebook friends that I made some amazing Pumpkin Soup for dinner yesterday. I can't even say how much I enjoyed it. My kids slurped at it like I hadn't fed them in a week. It was so good.


It takes a good bit of effort to make, but I felt the outcome was worth it! Next time you're at the grocery store pick up a small pie pumpkin and some chicken broth and you've probably got all the other ingredients on hand. If you don't want to use half and half, milk will do just fine!



Pumpkin Soup

1 pie pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and chunked
1 32. oz carton chicken broth
1/2 c. onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
6 whole peppercorns
1/4 c. half and half
1 tbsp. butter (opt.) 

Prep your pumpkin. In a large pot combine all ingredients but the half and half and butter. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered. When the pumpkin is fully cooked, transfer your soup to a blender and blend until smooth. You might need to do this in batches. An immersion blender comes in handy here. If you have one, like me, you'll be so glad you do. When your soup is smooth, continue to simmer for another 20 minutes. Add your half and half and butter and heat gently until the butter has melted. Serve. 

I served it with a hot ham and swiss sandwich. It was a hearty, filling meal.

He sat still to eat this. That speaks volumes. 

The sandwich  really hit the spot, too! 

The butter at the end really adds something special and helps to balance out the flavor of the soup. If you decide to skip it, you'll still have an amazing soup to enjoy! The easiest way I found to chop up a pumpkin is as follows:

  1. Ensure you have a very sharp knife. Give it a quick sharpen, if needed. 
  2. Remove the top as if you were going to make a jack-o-lantern. 
  3. Slice the pumpkin in half vertically. 
  4. Slice each half into wedges and scoop off the pulp as much as you can. 
  5. Chop each wedge into chunks and slice off the skin as you go. It is much easier to remove the skin in smaller chunks than to try to do it in larger sections! 
It can be a bit time consuming to chop that fresh pumpkin up, but worth it. I did this with my two kids running around like wild animals. I started early and watched Netflix on my laptop while I worked. It wasn't such a horrible chore! 


Next on my list of fabulous fall foods I've been cooking is my Spiced Country Ribs. Summer is over and I'm so over barbeque anything. Give me fall flavors!Still, country ribs are an inexpensive cut of meat. I just don't want them smothered in BBQ sauce. Cheap, simple and fall flavors? These hit the spot. My husband very quickly added them to the list of favorites. 



Spiced Country Ribs

1.5 lbs Boneless, skinless country-style pork ribs
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Allspice
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp. Onion Powder OR 1/4 c. chopped fresh onion ( I have done both and both works)
Black Pepper to taste
2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
2 tbsp. Soy Sauce

In a small bowl, combine your spices. Sprinkle onto the pork and rub into the meat. Place meat into slow cooker. Combine the maple syrup and soy sauce. Pour on top of the meat. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. 

Your house will smell amazing. Your family will thank you. I like to serve this with a simple side, like rice, that will soak up the juices. It couldn't get any easier. 

Enjoy!!

Excited Fall Hugs, 
    Cindy


For a printable version of these recipes, click Pumpkin Soup or Spiced Country Ribs

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!! We are going to have to try making these ribs ourselves!!

    ReplyDelete